DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

teleworker into a windows NT domain with a 2900 at domain

• mcgugan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2010 14:40 #1 by mcgugan
Does anyone know what we have to set (Vigor 2900) to allow an encrypted teleworker connection into a Windows NT domain. Everything we have tried just gets a 691 error :
Access denied because username and/or password is invalid on the domain

We have tried all forms of username on the 2900 (name, domain\name, domain/name).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2010 09:37 #2 by stuc
I assume the VPN works without any attempt to get on to domain I.E.
vpn in with "User" "Somepassword" actually connects in some form?

If the basic user and password does not work it is more likely a problem with something along the way stopping the vpn. Some ISP's provide basic firewalling that can stop VPN's or even a router can fail to pass the traffic.

Sorry if this is stupid question but the password (and domain challenge) often come up SIMPLY because the VPN is blocked, non existent or the public IP address has changed etc.

• mcgugan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2010 10:17 #3 by mcgugan
It appears the Draytek Smart VPN Client isn't very good at errors. Using Windows 7 VPN the errors I get relate to invalid IKE and security layer failure.
An unsecured PPTP tunnel works without a problem it is only when I try to add encryption things fall over. The IKE keys are correct.

More
01 Sep 2010 15:24 #4 by stuc
When using Windows PPTP do you manually set the type of VPN to pptp and force encryption to maximum?

I have seen issues where it seem to not negotiate properly while IPSEC is enabled as an option on the router and "type" left as auto on the ms client.

Haven't tried the Draytek client (recently) but vaguely remember hearing good reports for the Shrewsoft one - http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn

• mcgugan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2010 15:26 #5 by mcgugan
Thanks, but we have given up and are now using a Netgear ssl312 which worked straight away.

More
01 Sep 2010 15:36 #6 by stuc
Good to know, I've avoided Netgear in the past due to the extra VPN client licensing charges (not sure if that is still true) but if it works without stress maybe it's the solution.

Moderators: Sami