DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ?

• gomjaba
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2010 09:40 #1 by gomjaba
LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ? was created by gomjaba
We have noticed that even IPSec Lan to Lan VPNs assign an IP from the DHCP server (Draytek to Draytek) even though it supposed to be route so I don't understand why it assigns an IP from the DHCP server.

Is it possible to assign a static IP ? We have about 20 VPNs running at one time but only a limited amount of DHCP leases available so we have to keep rebooting the router in order to free up leases for people on call.

I first thought I trying Mac binding but every single IP has the sam MAC.

So that option is out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2010 20:26 #2 by bradley porter
Replied by bradley porter on topic LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ?
Sorry to be a numbskull, but could you please explain further the issue you are having? I think I am missing something. Thanks.

(On the surface, I assume that ANYTHING that connects to a Draytek, even another Draytek, will be assigned an IP address from within the DHCP allocation).

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

• gomjaba
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2010 21:12 #3 by gomjaba
Replied by gomjaba on topic LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ?

Bradley Porter wrote: Sorry to be a numbskull, but could you please explain further the issue you are having? I think I am missing something. Thanks.

(On the surface, I assume that ANYTHING that connects to a Draytek, even another Draytek, will be assigned an IP address from within the DHCP allocation).

When using an IPSec LAN to LAN VPN you create a tunnel between two networks using source and destination IP. It should not be necessary to assign an IP via DHCP but it should be using the static IP of the source and destination device instead.

More
24 Oct 2010 21:21 #4 by bradley porter
Replied by bradley porter on topic LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ?
Thanks for the explanation - sadly, I don't really have that level of understanding regarding IPSEC and IP allocation.

However, the issue should be something that Draytek should be able to answer successfully as it feels like the core operation of the Router.

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

• gomjaba
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2010 21:38 #5 by gomjaba
Replied by gomjaba on topic LAN to LAN still uses DHCP ?

Bradley Porter wrote: Thanks for the explanation - sadly, I don't really have that level of understanding regarding IPSEC and IP allocation.

However, the issue should be something that Draytek should be able to answer successfully as it feels like the core operation of the Router.

Yea but Draytek has never answered any of my emails or anything like that. Technical support is non existend in their vocabulary unfortunately :-(