DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN to LAN VPN - what's the best Vigor model to use?

• ian@ianrichardson.com
  • Topic Author
More
11 Nov 2010 10:56 #1 by ian@ianrichardson.com
LAN to LAN VPN - what's the best Vigor model to use? was created by ian@ianrichardson.com
Hi,

I'm setting up a LAN to LAN VPN between 2 offices. Each office will need to access network shared drives in the remote office, in other words, I need bi-directional access.

After reading all about the various draytek routers I'm still wavering and the more I read the more unsure I become :)

I've set up VPN before, but never needed 2 way access like this. The good news is that I get to choose the kit I want, so while my first thought was to use a couple of 2820n routers (I don't have to worry about separate WiFi at each end then) I'm wondering if someone with experience of doing this can tell me if I should be considering a different model? I am going to use dual WAN and 2 ADSL lines with static IPs so that there's load balancing and failover in place for Internet access. This raises another question in that I will presumably be specifying only one IP endpoint for the VPN (one of the 2 ADSL lines) so if that one goes down, there's no way of using the other one because it will be on a different IP?

I will also need to stream security camera video, but not sure of how many cameras and therefore how much bandwidth will be required, so I may do this with a separate line and a separate pair routers.

Advice gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.