DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SSL VPN Tunnel Mode Vigor 2930 - Firmware 3.3.0

• moore_m
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2011 00:09 #1 by moore_m
Hi .....

Shortly i'll be setting up a Draytek 2930N for a small SME mainly for the use of teleworkers to gain access to shared files on a basic peer to peer network the SME are not wanting to go the windows 2008 server way as yet due to cost and additional VPN licensing , I'm thinking of using the SSL tunnel mode for the teleworkers over PPTP which will be resolved by a DYNDNS which i'll configure on the router , the SSL tunnel mode will also give them the flexability of connecting from other machines rather than their default machine if need be and gaining access to the network shares , while still keeping security secure ( I Hope ) , has anyone had a issues with using the SSL Tunnel Mode on the Vigor 2930 with a teleworker setup , and is there anything i'll need to keep a look out with any underlying issues with Windows OS's ? or with the current Draytek 2930 firmware ? also if i may add the data that will be shared out to the teleworkers will be slightly sensitive data , will SSL Tunnel Mode over PPTP be sufficient ? there are no problems on the internal lan side , just wanting to make sure teleworks moving files back and fourth is secure over SSL Tunnel Mode ..

Thanks in advance ..

any feed back will be much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2011 10:12 #2 by nobody
I use the SSL tunnel with some of the 2930/2950 I have setup, and, until now have experienced zero problems, when using the draytek smart VPN client for dial-in.

However, using the web-frontend of the draytek to authenticate and bring up the tunnel, it will rather not work, depending on the version of java you use. I cannot recommend this for anyone. Only use the Smart-VPN client to connect.

The data should be secure using SSL. PPtP is also encrypted, but, the SSL tunnel has fewer problems as you already said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.