DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Another new VPN user

More
10 Apr 2011 17:08 #1 by haywardi
Another new VPN user was created by haywardi
Hi

Can someone help me. I have a 2820IPPBX and a 2820N. The 2820ippbx sits in the office and the 2820n has been purchased to provide mobile access to out network (and I do mean mobile as I use a 3g USB for connectivity).

My first venture into VPN was setting up a PPTP VPN. This worked, well worked ish. The lan to lan connection came up and I could get through, but the speed was SLOW VERY SLOW. Then I read that the firmware (3.3.5) had problems and I need to downgrade. I would prefer not to do this so I thought what about setting up a different type of lan to lan VPN (ipsec?)..

But now my question? Where do I start?

Please help.

Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2011 19:04 #2 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: Another new VPN user
It might be the case, if you use the 2820n with a UMTS/3G connection that this problem can only be resolved by using a wired internet connection.
Latency in a mobile network is typically times N of a wired connection, and this is not good vor VPNs
Packet acceleration done by the Network cannot be used with high Encrypted VPNs. Using an IPSec Connection most likely will make the situation worse.
I dont think that PPtP has the same problems as an IPSec VPN over high latency network connections, my knowledge here is limited however.

But, try out, what happens if you use an unencrypted L2TP Lan2Lan connection. If things get better then, and, you dont have a problem, that a man in the middle might read your data, use this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.