Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

L2TP/IPSEC from Vista to 2800VG

• markdanes
  • Topic Author
More
13 Apr 2011 17:40 #1 by markdanes
L2TP/IPSEC from Vista to 2800VG was created by markdanes
Hi,

I've configued my 2800 for L2TP over IPSEC remote access, and it works fine on 2 XP machines. (IKE PSK using the DrayTek Smart VPN Client)

I've completed exactly the same thing on two Vista machines and they won't connect. They just stop at "Status: Dialing..." for ages and then just fail with "Uknown error"

If I switch the connection from L2TP over IPSEC to IPSEC tunnel they connect almost immediately but can not access anything behind the router, only the router itself. The XP machines behave the same way when in IPSEC tunnel mode. I don't know why that is, but it at least means those Vista machines have the right PSK, etc, configured. If I don't use the Smart VPN Client and configure the connection manually using the built in Windows VPN tools (as per the FAQ), it just gets stuck in "Connecting to <host name>".

Is there some kind of issue with L2TP over IPSEC for Vista? Have I missed something obvious?

(As an aside: Should I be concerned that I can't reach anything behing the router in IPSEC tunnel mode and have to use L2TP over IPSEC?)

Thanks for any ideas!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.