DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

SSL VPN on 2820Vn Using FM 3.3.1.1_232201

• skarnm
  • Topic Author
More
18 Apr 2011 21:43 #1 by skarnm
Good evening,

I'm currently trying to set up a SSL VPN from work to home. I found these instructions

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_ssl.html

Which seemed pretty straightforward. However when I come to stage 1 which is the SSL VPN, I notice that I don't have a SSL VPN menu option on my side bar above the System Maintenance.

Is this merely down to the fact I am so far behind on my firmware updates, or does these instructions not apply to the 2820Vn. If not then any guidance would be appreciated.

I know I am well behind on the firmware updates, but up until this point I haven't had any problems and have thus been loath to perform an upgrade, when I didn't have a need to change anything. I'm a firm believer in if it works, leave it.

Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2011 21:50 #2 by nobody
AFAIK, Draytek routers which have an SSL VPN server built in are 2930, 2950, 5500

• skarnm
  • Topic Author
More
19 Apr 2011 22:14 #3 by skarnm
Damn that's a real shame. Any reason this feature can't be rolled out to other models? My 2820Vn is only a few years old and I can't deny that I'm a not little annoyed about it not being available.

It would have been a real bonus for limiting access just to my NAS box and other web apps I run on it.

More
20 Apr 2011 15:27 #4 by nobody
I Dont think, you miss much.
the "SSL-VPN", as long, as this term regards to using the Router via the WebUI to establish a VPN session using the browser does not work very well.
Problems are everywhere: platform incompatiblities, java version incompatibilities, browser problems.
For me, this works in 2 of 10 attempts, if I dont setup the client wit the exact software I know it will work, it will not function.
The Browser based SSL VPN promised to make VPN easier for the Client and the Admin. However it does not. It gives you a ton of problems you have do deal with you never wanted to know about.

"SSL-VPN" using together with the Draytek "Smart VPN client" works very well, and, has less compatilbity problems when using together with unknown SOHO routers, Wifi Hotspots, and wireless lans in Hotels.

More
22 Apr 2011 09:35 #5 by admin

skarnm wrote: I can't deny that I'm a not little annoyed about it not being available.

The vigor2820 series never supported SSL VPN; it is a feature on more advanced/higher end models, which cost more. I don't understand why that would "annoy" you.`

skarnm wrote: My 2820Vn is only a few years old .

So?

Forum Administrator

• skarnm
  • Topic Author
More
22 Apr 2011 14:18 #6 by skarnm
So? Not the most articulate response.

Because other kit I buy, like the Synology NAS box range. It just keeps getting updated, normally for a 4 year window after the release of the product. So features keep added during that period, regardless of device. The difference between each tier is the hardware, cpu, memory, no' of disks. The software on each box is exactly the same.

I suppose when you have that kind of support you judge all other companies by that standard. That is the nature of the beast. You don't get compared to similar companies in your market segment, but any market segment you acquire kit for.

Yes I appreciate that there is a price difference, of about £30 between the 2820vn and 2930vn, but I just see the SSL VPN as a feature which would be rolled out onto all devices that can support it. Of course if it can't support it then fair enough.

I am sure like others here, I buy Draytek for personal use, because it provides a solid range of features and just works, at least for the stuff I need it for. Unfortunately it will be a couple more years before the window where I update draytek again will arrive. As nobody said, maybe waiting a couple more years will actually be a good thing with the SSL VPN feature.