DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN TO LAN only works with IP not a host name

• mjjames
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2011 15:12 #1 by mjjames
Hi Guys,

I have a nice pair of VIGO2820n Routers, which I have setup a LAN-LAN VPN with. Its setup using PPTP for now.

I got this working with some static IP addresses however i'm now trying to use hostnames instead of IP addresses and for some reason the connection can't be made.
Looking at my SysLog i'm seeing the following: 06-03-2011 15:08:55 Local1.Notice 10.10.2.2 Jan 1 00:56:50 Vigor: Error! (err = 50) => To add Event (CM_EVENT_DIALUP) into EVENT Queue

Can anyone advise on what could be occuring?

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2011 19:21 #2 by nobody
I cannot think of many reason this should not work - if the host-names are correct:
Router cannot resolve the name to an address because of not working DNS servers:
Try to set your DNS resolver addresses the router uses to something else then what you probably get automatic. If you dont have a better idea, use the opendns servers for a start: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
Also, check, why your date & time in the router is not current (if your current DNS resolver is not working, also the date and time will not be adjusted automatically after a router restart).
In the System Maintenance menu, Time and Date, check "use internet Time client", set the server ip address to "pool.ntp.org".
save, and, restart the router.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.