DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Linux server as VPN endpoint?

More
03 Jul 2011 04:50 #1 by jsp
Linux server as VPN endpoint? was created by jsp
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following..
I'm wondering if any Draytek router with VPN support would work as a VPN *client* to a Linux VPN server, but the VPN would have to run over TCP/IP, so IPSec and PPTP (because of GRE) are out of the question.
The scenario is this: I have a small local network which connects to an ISP via a router/firewall (this could be a Draytek), which has a single DHCP assigned WAN IP from the ISP. The ISP however NATs its customers behind their own internet facing firewall. I'm trying to reach inside the local network from the internet. I have a dedicated server at a server farm somewhere in the Internet which already among its duties does OpenVPN for another project (actually an identical problem - and the solution was OpenWRT running on some cheapo 40 GBP tp-link router, but I prefer this time not to be a hack). I was hoping to have the Draytek act as a VPN client to connect to the dedicated server and then have the server do some port-forwarding to services in the local network.
The server runs Ubuntu and has no network restrictions. Because the ISP NATs wrt internet and doesn't pass through non IP traffic, nor UDP traffic related to a TCP session, I think I'm stuck with VPN solutions that run over pure TCP (data and control/signalling).
Does the Draytek support any VPN protocol as a client that satisfies this criteria?
I've looked at the SSL VPN and it looks like it's server only and a little proprietary - at least I didn't see any interoperability with Linux (other than the browser SSL).

Have I missed something? Are there any solutions to this predicament?

TIA.

jsp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.