Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN noob, please help

• mattgg
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2011 11:19 #1 by mattgg
VPN noob, please help was created by mattgg
I need to setup my new Vigor2830 and really hope it can do this:

I have this router setup in one office on a stand-alone internet connection. A NAS storage device is attached to the router and that's all. I need a staff member in another office to access the NAS via VPN. I only want them to share the NAS storage after they connect, I do not want them to be forced to use the http traffic from the office where the 2830 resides.

How can I setup the vpn with this router so the remote staff member can just map the network drive over the vpn connection but till surf and email with their own connection?

If this router can't do this, then what router can? If it can do this, then how would I go about setting t up? (I can already log into the router from a separate network and see the NAS but browsing and email stops working.

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2011 11:46 #2 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: VPN noob, please help
This is not a feature/problem of the Router, but a thing you have to setup at the client.

Uncheck "use default gateway on remote network" in the properties of the VPN connection.

• mattgg
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2011 12:18 #3 by mattgg
Replied by mattgg on topic Re: VPN noob, please help
Thank you so much nobody!

Any tips on what to look for, with this type of router, when the client computer vpns in and can not browse the internet at all?
Before I tried to learn how to get the client computer to surf its own connection while vpn connected, I am also trying to get any browsing working while connected by vpn.

More
05 Jul 2011 12:36 #4 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: VPN noob, please help
I dont know, why the VPN connected computer is unable to use the internet connection of the Draytek router. My first guess would be, that the DNS server entries the PC is using are wrong (DNS entries used are those of the networkconnection without VPN, but when connected over the VPN, these server will refuse an answer because the PC now is in a different/foreign network).

But, it is easy to uncheck the box in the property of the VPN connection:
http://diaryproducts.net/about/operating_systems/windows/enable_disable_default_gateway_vpn_windows