Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

users logged out of RDP completely when internet drops

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2011 12:44 #1 by mcprescribed
Hi,

I was hoping someone could share some light on this issue;

We have a terminal server in HK, when the internet drops out in the UK all users in here logged on the HK terminal server have their sessions disconnected and are logged out completely from the server.

Now to confuse matters when I restart the router in HK (to act as an internet drop out scenario), when the UK users reconnect to the terminal server their sessions are still open (all programs are still open). We would really like this to happen when the UK office has internet drop outs.

FYI We have an active VPN open between both offices using Draytek Vigor 2820 routers, although we connect via the external IP to the server because RDP via the server name seems too slow (screens take a while to refresh, especially when graphical).

Please help! :)

Thanks.
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jul 2011 15:12 #2 by mcprescribed
Does anyone have any suggestions at all I can try, this only started happening with the new Draytek routers we got in both offices recently :?

More
13 Jul 2011 18:08 #3 by nobody
Is this an active directory environment ?
Do you have a DC in the HK location ?
if not, maybe think about adding a second DC to this location. I could imagine, that, when suddenly the server cannot validate the identity of a client the session will be terminated.

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jul 2011 11:45 #4 by mcprescribed
Is this an active directory environment ? Yes
Do you have a DC in the HK location ? Yes

The offices have different domain names, should I be doing something to get them to talk to each other?

More
20 Jul 2011 23:14 #5 by nobody
looks like my first guess direction is wrong.

you connect not through the VPN to the terminal server, but through an open port ?
maybe, if the Internet goes down in UK, the client gets a different IP Address, but, if you restart the router in HK, he gets the same address ?
Terminal services might interpret a connection from a different IP Address as a new connection.
(if you connect through the VPN, then you should get your old session, have you tried this ?)

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2011 09:28 #6 by mcprescribed
The user experience through the vpn (connecting with the server name instead of IP) is not a pleasant experience. It has slow refresh rates and is almost completely unworkable (If you have any suggestions that would be great!).

Also to note both locations have static IPs

To the the best of my knowledge their is no restriction for connecting to the existing session from the same IP.

Thanks