Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multiple VPN's on 2820

• technobob1212
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2011 15:22 #1 by technobob1212
Multiple VPN's on 2820 was created by technobob1212
Hi

I currently have 2 offices which are linked by draytek 2820 routers & this has been working well for the last 6mths. The HQ has a Windows 2003 SBS & a Terminal server

However they have just aquired a 3rd site so I thought I would purchase another draytek & connect to the "HQ Draytek"

HQ Draytek (site 1) is on IP 192.168.45.xxx

Site 2 is on 192.168.1.xxx

Site 3 is on 192.168.3.xxx

All sites have static IP addresses

The problem I appear to be experiencing is that the 3rd site will connect to VPN but no data is passed between it & HQ & this causes the connection between HQ & site 1 to stop functioning

When the VPN is connected from Site 3 to HQ I am unable to ping the server yet I can from Site2

In addition to this when site 2 & 3 are connected to HQ via VPN they appear to be called the same name at HQ even though they are named differently

Can anyone advise where I am going wrong please or if I need to provide further information then please let me know

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 19:55 #2 by roundst
Replied by roundst on topic Re: Multiple VPN's on 2820
Hi Bob,

I run multi-site VPNs with no problems.. (there are 14 at my office)

Are you using IPSEC to make the connections?

make sure that the 'use default route' option is NOT ticked.

I presume you have the right IP configs in the right places on each router.

C

• technobob1212
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2011 11:21 #3 by technobob1212
Replied by technobob1212 on topic Re: Multiple VPN's on 2820
HI

I was using PPTP to make the connections & the correct IP's are in place

I managed to do some additional testing & eventually worked around the issue

It appears that HQ & Site 1's VPN profiles were "damaged" as this VPN connection had been working for over 8mths without any issues

As i said when I connected Site 2 to HQ both "Site 1" & Site 2" were named the same in the VPN connection management & even had the same VPI's

I disabled the existing connections, created new connections for each site & this worked perfectly & has been up & running for over 5days

The only thing I was not able to initially overcome was joining the PC's to the domain over VPN but I set their primary DNS to point to the DC & the secondary to point to their local DNS Router & now each PC Is on the domain & can access all resources

Many thanks for your reply