DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830N Plus - VPN Very unstable?? O:(( Help...

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Sep 2011 08:27 #1 by johntankard
Hi Guys,

After a long time being a happy owner of two 2820's, one of them blew and we had to replace it. I decided to go with the 2830N Plus, all in all im happy with it apart from the very unstable VPN. I have set up an IPSEC Tunnel between the two branches and have allowed unrestricted access over the VPN, both ways. When I ping the remote office, I get 12 responces and then a timeout, then twelve again and a timeout and so on. I have managed to get this a little better by blocking the Netbios Naming Packet in the Lan to Lan setup but it's still a little flaky.

Is anyone else having flaky IPSEC VPN Tunnel problems and if so, how did you cure it or, are we waiting for a firmware upgrade.

I must stress, the two 2820's I have kept the VPN Tunnel up all the time, in a normal week we might get a total of 5 timeouts, the 2830 is a lot worse.....

Regards

John Tankard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2011 17:19 #2 by mattrudgley
Replied by mattrudgley on topic Re: 2830N Plus - VPN Very unstable?? O:(( Help...
Hi John,

Am having the exact same problem! Hoping someone can help.

thanks
matt

More
01 Dec 2011 11:10 #3 by omniledger
Replied by omniledger on topic Re: 2830N Plus - VPN Very unstable?? O:(( Help...
Did you get a solution to this problem?

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Dec 2011 11:40 #4 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Re: 2830N Plus - VPN Very unstable?? O:(( Help...
Hi Guys

Draytek are still looking into this for me, it has been esculated to their highest support leval now and I am awaiting feedback. I really do have some severe problems with the 2830 and think this is no-where near as good as the 2820, the 2830 is now refusing to even let me vist some websites now, even though I can view them through a 2820 connection. Performance is slow and I just think they have release a lemon without fully testing it first and, no IP6 support.... comon....

John

More
05 Dec 2011 13:27 #5 by ahxcjb

johntankard wrote: Hi Guys

Draytek are still looking into this for me, it has been esculated to their highest support leval now and I am awaiting feedback. I really do have some severe problems with the 2830 and think this is no-where near as good as the 2820, the 2830 is now refusing to even let me vist some websites now, even though I can view them through a 2820 connection. Performance is slow and I just think they have release a lemon without fully testing it first and, no IP6 support.... comon....

John

Completely agree with all the above points. L2TP over IPSEC is flaky for me using Windows 7. I can ping a remote LAN host, but I cannot browse to any websites. Funnily enough, connecting in from my iPhone results in everything being ok. However, as much as i dislike Windows, I can't believe MS would release Windows 7 SP1 without a working L2TP stack.

• johntankard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Dec 2011 11:40 #6 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Re: 2830N Plus - VPN Very unstable?? O:(( Help...
Hi Guys,

Draytek engineers have just sent me a new beta firmware for the 2830n plus to hopefully get round this flaky VPN IPSEC problem, so far the tunnels have been up for nearly 23 hours, that is the longest an IPSEC tunnel has ever been up for. Fingers crossed they have cured it. I will let you know in the next few days if it's still holding

John