DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2800 - when VPN connected the Internet doesnt work

• ftlandrew
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2011 11:22 #1 by ftlandrew
Hi,

I have a user connected via VPN Remote Dial In User to my Draytek 2800 in the office.

The connection connects fine and she can access all local resources on the network.

However when the VPN is connected her internet is lost. Only DNS wise its lost though. It can resolve IP's but not names!
As soon as the VPN is disconnected her Internet is working again.

At home she has a BT HomeHub and of course is on BT Broadband.
At the office we are on BT Business Broadband through the Draytek Vigor 2800.

The VPN clients when conencted get the IP address of 192.168.1.212-218, the local network also sits on 192.168.1.0

She connects using the Draytek Smart Client and uses Win 7.

When trying to setup a connection using the Windows connect to VPN she would connect fine but could not access any local resource.

I can setup her connection on my laptop using both the SMart Client and the Windows connect to VPN and it all works fine and as it should when i test from home.

She has Windows firewall disabled, only firewall that is on is the standard firewall on the homehub - still the same issue.

If i do an ipconfig on her machine while the VPN connected it gives her an IP of 192.168.1.213, subnet of 255.255.255.255, no default gateway, and it pulls the 2 DNS servers as the ones the router uses to connect to BT. THe exact same config as mine at home and mine works! Only difference is i use Sky broadband at home!

If i tracert to googles IP when VPN connected it quite rightly goes out through her home hub as 1st hop then off over the net to google.

Can anybody offer anything as to why when the VPN connects the internet DNS is lost and thus unable to browse the net until disconnected?

Pulled all my hair out

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
11 Oct 2011 19:18 #2 by nealuk
Yes, her home network needs to be Different to the Office Network.

I think they're both 192.168.1.n - can one of those be changed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.