Can't ping fqdn Lan to Lan vpn pair vigor 2830

• andrewwib
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2012 13:10 #1 by andrewwib
Hi
I have two Vigor 2830's configured for Lan to Lan VPN with PPTP. The VPN is up and I can ping Lan devices from both ends with IP, however I cannot ping a fqdn.

Lan 1 has a SBS2011 running DHCP and DNS, I have used Force DNS Server IP Address on the Vigor to use Googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as I was getting hassle with the ISP DNS (BT). Other than that all is as per Mikeys Guide.
From the Ping Diagnostics, I can ping the SBS Servers IP but not fqdn.

Lan 2 is a small peer to peer network with the Vigor 2830 configured as its DHCP/DNS Server. I can ping the SBS Server on Lan 1 with IP but not fqdn.
No Lan 1 devices appear in Lan2 with a browser, but I can access each Lans device with IP.

Been going potty trying to see my error, any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew

For those with the same problem, I have sorted it though the solution may not be very elegant, I did this:

Make sure that there is a DNS entry for the for the SBS server in the clients IP configuration in Lan2, also enable Netbios over IP in the WINS config and finally add the SBS server as a WINS server, this last bit sorted out the ping FQDN problem.
If there is a better way to do this I would be very interested as configuring the DHCP clients on LAN 2 can be a pain if DHCP will not give all the info required.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2012 15:41 #2 by lozstlouis
Can you not use the manual dns entry for the other LAN to point at the SBS box? Then the DHCP issued IP from the router will use the SBS. Only gotcha is if the VPN tunnel goes down you loose ur lookups totally.

www.alits.co.uk

• andrewwib
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jan 2012 00:19 #3 by andrewwib
Hi lozstlouis,
yes I suppose I could, however that is only part of the solution as you need to enable wins (with server address etc) and enable netbios over ip to make it work, I don't think that can be done via router. I am sure there is a better way but I can't see it.

Thanks for reply

More
17 Jan 2012 10:22 #4 by lozstlouis
Have you got legacy applications that use WINS then? Otherwise you only really need AD DNS surely?

www.alits.co.uk