More
16 Jan 2012 15:10 #1 by stuart.drennan
IPSec and Dynamic IP was created by stuart.drennan
Hi Guys

Draytek Vigor2820 @ Head Office
External: Static IP

Netgear FVS114 @ Branch Office
External: Dynamic IP

I have an IPSec VPN working perfectly fine, the only problem is that the 'dialling in' router (branch) is on a dynamic IP and I can't see anywhere to enter a Peer IT on it, so every time the IP address changes (due to a reboot of the branch router) I have to reset the IP address in the Draytek Lan2Lan profile. The Netgear only support IPSec so I'm limited to using that on the Draytek.

Would anybody have any thoughts on what I could do to resolve this? Ideally I would like to enter the DynDNS host instead of the "Peer VPN Server IP" but this doesn't seem possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2012 16:43 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: IPSec and Dynamic IP
Is Netgear Speak "Fully Qualified User Name" the same as Peer ID?
Can you not have a static IP at the Branch Office?
Regards, Neal

More
25 Feb 2012 18:30 #3 by obroad
Replied by obroad on topic Re: IPSec and Dynamic IP
I think I understand this one. Are you using shared secret?

I think the branch can connect from a dynamic IP using the global shared secret but you can't set a profile-specific one unless you can specify a fixed IP. As I understand it if the recieving unit can match the IP to a profile it can use the IPsec settings from that profile, but if it can't match the IP (dynamic) then it has to default to the global settings.

I've only used a mix of vigor 2600, 2800 and billion routers so not familiar with the newer models.