Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n to Fortigate FG100A

• mfuller
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2012 12:48 #1 by mfuller
2820n to Fortigate FG100A was created by mfuller
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some help please, getting a Vigor 2820n talking to a Fortigate 100A. I have set up both units as described in the Draytek article (http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=184) but unfortunately when I hit dial, no connection is made.

The Vigor is based at my home, has WAN1 connected to BT Broadband, has WAN2 connected to Talktalk Broadband.
The Fortigate is at the office. WAN1 connected to BT Inifinity, WAN2 connected to Plusnet.

The vigor is running firmware: 3.3.7_232201
The Fortigate is running: 3.00-b0754(MR7 Patch 10)

As mentioned above, both units have been setup as described in the article, including the firewall policy on the Fortigate. My home network is 172.16.5.0 and the work network is 172.16.1.0.

Any help appreciated.. I'm not getting anywhere :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mfuller
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2012 13:14 #2 by mfuller
Replied by mfuller on topic Re: 2820n to Fortigate FG100A
Little more info from the FortiGate eveny log. I am seeing...

"Responder: parsed 86.165.65.12 quick mode message #1 (ERROR)"

Google reveals nothing pertinent.

• mfuller
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2012 13:41 #3 by mfuller
Right, resolved. Been working on this for a couple of days and a few minutes after posting the problem here, I fix it. Typical :D

For anyone interested. The article is based on an older version of the Vigor (or a different one that I have) and as such missed a few settings which I configured as best I could.

One, was not right. The setting on my Vigor for "From first subnet to remote network, you have to do" was set to NAT. It needed to be "Route".

More
22 Feb 2012 09:14 #4 by ciscokid1903
Replied by ciscokid1903 on topic Re: 2820n to Fortigate FG100A
Out of interest, how do you find the site to site performance from Draytek to FortiGate?

I have a similar setup with multiple remote offices using draytek vigors to connect back to our head office of clustered FortiGates. The VPN tunnels come up and stay up for a good while, but all VPN connections seem to drop off for a split second then reconnect almost immediately. Sometime after 6 hours of uninterrupted connection, sometimes after 12 hours, sometimes after 1 hour. Seems to be no logic in the connections dropping off.

• mfuller
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2012 11:22 #5 by mfuller
No problems here.. at least not unless there are problems with the ADSL as that's the only time the VPN drops out (we are very far from the exchance)

I've been very impressed with it so far.. certainly a lot easier than using a software VPN.

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
23 Feb 2012 15:43 #6 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820n to Fortigate FG100A

mfuller wrote: ...we are very far from the exchance...

mfuller wrote: ...The vigor is running firmware: 3.3.7_232201...

You could contact support, with a few details on your SNR etc. and they will recommend the best modem code firmware for your long lime. This should strengthen things even more. Best regards, Neal.