Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting Up VPN For Remote Workers

• pepps1976
  • Topic Author
More
20 Apr 2012 14:50 #1 by pepps1976
Setting Up VPN For Remote Workers was created by pepps1976
Hi There all

just after a bit of help i have a Vigor 2830 setup in the office, and i would like Remote workers who have laptops to be able to recieve their email from exchange and access the file server etc.

i have all the remote access control tick boxes checked and have added myself as a Remote dial in user.

I have then downloaded the Draytek Smart VPN Client but i am not to sure how to configure it can anybody help.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
20 Apr 2012 17:04 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Setting Up VPN For Remote Workers
How does the connection get in to your office?

Well let's assume that your internet connection has a fixed IP. Now you could put this in as the address in the smart VPN client. But this doesn't futureproof you very well. You might change IPS, location etc.

I would suggest that you create a DNS entry, such as teleworker.companyname.co.uk which resolves to your IP

A Draytek guide covers the rest here: http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=136

Remember the golden rule: Once connected or disconnected to/from and VPN you have to wait 30 seconds before anything will work, due to background dns changes.

More
02 May 2012 23:22 #3 by graham e
Replied by graham e on topic Re: Setting Up VPN For Remote Workers
Install the smart VPN client on your laptop

Run the program and Click Insert to setup a profile

In the profile name call it Office Server or anything else that takes your fancy
In the VPN/Server IP Hostname IP address. Put in the offices External IP address or hostname if you have one setup.
In the username /password box put in the details of the Remote Dial In User you setup on your Vigor Router
Click ok to save.
Your profile should then appear in the Connect to VPN Server Box. Click connect and it should connect to the office router and give your laptop an IP address on your LAN

The only issues i come across are DNS on your client sometimes need to have the server ip as a secondary dns address for things to work ok
Also check there are no Remote Access Servers on your network as sometimes these can conflict with the Vigor