DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Remote control of XP vs Windows 7 dial-in users

• mackeer
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2012 14:45 #1 by mackeer
Hi,
I have two users in a remote office, one on XP, one on Windows 7. They both dial in to a 2830 at head office using SmartVPN 4.0.0.5, both using the same credentials and IPSec tunnel setup.

The connections both work well in that both machines can access files etc on machines at head office.

Where I'm stuck is that when using our preferred remote desktop software, Radmin, to provide user support from head office, I can connect perfectly to the XP mahcine, but can't connect at all to the Windows 7 machine. I assumed it was something to do with the Windows 7 firewall, but there is nothing in the logs to show that it has rejected a connection attempt.

I can control the Windows 7 machine from the XP machine in the remote office.

Has anyone come across this before, or can someone give me some pointers as to where to look next?

Many thanks,
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 12:58 #2 by blackhat72
Wireshark is your friend..

What IP port does Radmin use?

can you telnet from your admin workstation to the radmin client's IP port on the windows7 hosts?
Can you ping the windows7 dial in users from your box and your router?

have you got the draytek router setup to send its syslog to a syslog viewer?

What does your VPN connection status say? -ie who's dialled in and on what IP addresses?

Technical Consultant.

www.fahrenheit-it.com

• mackeer
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2012 13:17 #3 by mackeer
Thanks BlackHat72,

Yes - Wireshark was going to be my next step, but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious or known to others before investing much time in exploring it, and also to confirm it wasn't a definite non-starter.

Thanks for all the other pointers. I'll investigate further and post an update at some point.

For info...

i) Radmin uses port 4899

ii) Can ping the XP machine but not the Windows 7 - true for attempts from the router and PCs on the head office LAN.

iii) Telnet to the XP machine fails immediately (presumably because it responds with 'I'm here, but not talking to you on that port!!'), wheras the Windows 7 machine fails after some delay - presumably because it's not responding at all.

iv) Nothing in the syslog that I can see

v) VPN connection status - Both clients showing...
VPN = "Dynamic Client"
Type = "IPSec Tunnel DES-No Auth"
Remote IP = ext WAN IP of broadband router at remote office
Virtual network = internal IP of devices

Regards,
Richard