Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Basic Newbie help

• daz_uk
  • Topic Author
More
29 May 2012 12:54 #1 by daz_uk
Basic Newbie help was created by daz_uk
Hi
Just installed a 2830 to overcome a maximum limit on VPN on my old zyxel router.
Initially didnt use the 2830 to manage VPN just passed through to windows 2003 server and it worked as before, but still only two VPN users could authenticate at any one time :/
So I want to use the 2830 to manage the VPN now but I cannot get it to work. I have entered remote users (although I would prefer to authenticate against AD) and tried PPTP, fails and drops the connection.
I used the IPSEC smartclient, which says it is connected but I cannot see the network from the outside, and from the inside I cant see the remote PC.

Can anyone point me to a step by step walkthrough. I just want to get something working.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• micklep
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
07 Jun 2012 15:59 #2 by micklep
Replied by micklep on topic Re: Basic Newbie help
Hello,

I am assuming that the software is similar to the 2820, this is what we did.
1. activate appropriate protocols under "VPN and remote access> remote access control"
2. If needed, add the pre shared key in "VPN and remote access> IPSEC General setup"
3. Add users into "VPN and remote access> remote dial in user" (remember that the username & password are case sensitive)
4. Configure VPN client on local machine and test.

Obviously you should ensure the following:
*User name and password are correct (paying attention to upper and lower case letters)
*You have a fixed IP address
*you have added the DNS server on the local machines

Let me know how you get on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.