DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Connecting to a particular VPN

• ds408user
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2012 17:33 #1 by ds408user
Connecting to a particular VPN was created by ds408user
I want to connect my 2820Vn (thanks ebay!) to a the iPredator VPN for a bit of anonymity. You can see the setup instructions for the Windows VPN client here https://www.ipredator.se/guide/pptp/windows7. I have no trouble connecting from windows, nor from my linux server, but I just can't get my 2820 to do anything.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to configure the 2820?

Here's some salient points:
In Windows I use PPTP, set Enable LCP extensions ON, use Maximum strength encryption, and the MS CHAP V2 protocol

I've tried every combination of settings for PPTP dial-out I can think of on my 2820, but nothing seems to happen. I also need to work out how to view the logs to see if I can sport anything useful in there.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ds408user
  • Topic Author
More
20 Oct 2012 21:26 #2 by ds408user
Replied by ds408user on topic Re: Connecting to a particular VPN
Well I have managed to work out how to connect and how to look at the system log. I can connect successfully now, but only for 51 (yes it is that consistent) seconds at a time. It connects then drop with a 'PPP Closed : LCP Time-out ()' message, which looks to me like it has asked the server for something and didn't get a reply. Anyone seen this kind of thing before or have any ideas? Thanks.

More
23 Oct 2012 21:25 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Connecting to a particular VPN

ds408User wrote: I want to connect my 2820Vn (thanks ebay!) to a the iPredator VPN for a bit of anonymity.

Why, what are you up to ? :-)

Forum Administrator

• ds408user
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2012 22:01 #4 by ds408user
Nothing particularly abnormal for internet users these days. Mostly I'd just trying to learn more about VPNs, I like the idea of being anonymous and I like the idea of being able to look as if I'm in one country when I'm in another. For example, if I move to the US I'd still like to be able to watch UK TV programs via the internet. I also do a spot of TV downloading sometimes, when I've missed a particular program.

I am now connected to iPredator, although the Draytek guides did not point me to where I needed to be. I actually set it up via WAN >> Internet Access >> PPTP/L2TP. It now connects and seems stable, however I'd like to get the schedule setup working, so I can have it on the VPN only at certain set times. It has some schedule settings, and they seem relatively straightforward, but I can't get them to do anything for me.

Anyone know anything about the Schedule settings in PPTP/L2TP of WAN >> Internet Access (labelled Index (1-15) in Schedule Setup)?

More
25 Oct 2012 11:46 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Connecting to a particular VPN
All of the things you've suggested are probably not lawful (pretending to be in another country to get programmes you're not entitled there, downloading programmes that you've missed on TV etc.). Seriously, it's not 'okay' IMHO....

Forum Administrator

• ds408user
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2012 10:23 #6 by ds408user
Not that I've asked you to comment on the legality, but I do have a valid UK TV licence (I am still in the UK, but I would have one anyway if I moved to Canada temporarily as I want to support the BBC), and I would like to make sure I don't miss some of my favourite shows while I'm away. As for downloading I realize it's a grey area, but when I have a TV licence I personally feel downloading BBC programs is not a particularly terrible thing to do, and I pretty much only watch the BBC and listen to Radio 4. I am currently just testing to see what's possible with the 2820, and so far it doesn't seem like it can do what I want.

Anyway I guess that's the end of my question in this forum.