VPN and Domain User Accouts

• stelil
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 May 2013 12:12 #1 by stelil
VPN and Domain User Accouts was created by stelil
I have a number of Draytek routers setup on ADSL with VPN users dialling in to connect to Remote Desktop Sessions on PC's in a Windows Domain.

This works perfectly and I like having the different username and password in the draytek VPN users page so that we can setup silly/complex long passwords that are saved in the users VPN connection. With the users domain password being different and less "silly" because the machines are not internet facing.

This works perfectly and is very reliable, a draytek router has become part of my recommended small businesss setup.

However... I have a new requirement for a domain connected laptop to roam, connecting via the VPN so that the user can use it as if they were in the office. When trying to open one of the drive mapping to the server the user gets an error and I can see that the reason for the error is that the machine is trying to authenticate using the draytek VPN username (e.g. "joe.bloggs" whereas the uses domain user name is "DOMAIN\Joe Bloggs".

If I connect one drive using "connect as" and enter the domain user/password it connects OK and then subsequent mapped drives can be connected OK just by clicking on them. (as if it remembers the credential last used)

So the question is:

To make this work seamlessly do I have to use VPN passthrough to the Windows server and us it as the VPN server using the domain credentials? or is there a way of making this work with the above dual account setup?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stelil
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2013 12:13 #2 by stelil
Replied by stelil on topic Re: VPN and Domain User Accouts
Solved this by putting the VPN username in the Draytek as:

DOMAIN\First Last

Exactly as it appeared for the domain user and so far everything has worked perfectly (even though the passwords are still very different)

Thanks
Regards
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.