Setting up VPN - 2850n

• splinterbox
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2013 09:33 #1 by splinterbox
Setting up VPN - 2850n was created by splinterbox
I've being trying to figure out how to get the job done. Having decided to use the 2850n's ability to act as a VPN server, I've delved, implemented, entered and changed settings using the VPN and Remoter Server, VPN Client and Server Wizards, VPN Trunk Management and Connection Management to no avail. I've looked at and checked Firewall settings and NAT permissions - laptop included - still with without success.

I've installed Draytek's own VPN client on my laptop after trying get connected using Windows 7's build in VPN client. In both cases my laptop was trying to connect to my 2850n - no success here either.

Where do I go from here? I know that the Draytek 2850n is a remarkably capable device, but is necessary to be so complicated to setup? Even getting advice on what sections of the configuration system require specific entries would be good starting point. I can't believe its all of the above mentioned categories - or maybe it is and more . . !

I'm beginning to regret my decision to buy the 2850n and - if no guidance arrives after this post - I'm seriously considering buying a wireless router that has a more understandable configuration process.

Splinter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maddriver
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
06 Jun 2013 08:47 #2 by maddriver
Replied by maddriver on topic Re: Setting up VPN - 2850n
I've not set up a VPN before but as far as I understand it's pretty complex whatever router you use.

try here as a first step for guideance: http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=343:windows-to-vigor&Itemid=293&lang=en

• splinterbox
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2013 10:23 #3 by splinterbox
Replied by splinterbox on topic Re: Setting up VPN - 2850n
Thanks for the advice and link to support pages I had not previously found. Looking around the support pages I found a section "Built-in VPN client - Windows 7 to Vigor Router - L"TP over IPSec". This shows the configuration process for Host to LAN L2TP over IPSec, but refers to Vigor 2920 router. Hopefully the setup will be pretty much the same for 2850n. I'm going to follow the process to see if I can establish a remote Host connection.

I'll be sure to report back with the results of my endeavours . . !

Splinterbox

• splinterbox
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jun 2013 12:16 #4 by splinterbox
Replied by splinterbox on topic Re: Setting up VPN - 2850n
Well here is a progress report, or should I more correctly say failure report! Following instructions on the specific DrayTek support pages, I have setup the router and laptop as server and client respectively. When trying to remotely log-on it seems that the router won't allow me access, so I'm guessing that I need to implement firewall permissions or security settings some where else in the router configuration. If so, can anyone suggest where I would start with this . . ?