VPN setup

• e.s
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2013 09:39 #1 by e.s
VPN setup was created by e.s
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me here.

I have a Draytek 2850vn.

My isp is Zen and I have a monthly subscription to a vpn service that I can connect to about 20 different servers all over the world.

I usually connect to the vpn servers via software on my pc, i.e I use windows to make a new connection and then save it and I can then connect to said vpn server when I need to.

However I was wondering, my vpn provider gives me a username and password to logon to their servers and, I was wondering if it is possible for me to setup the vpn connection in my router so that no matter what pc or wireless device is connected to it, all net traffic would flow through the vpn. As at the moment, when I connect to the vpn server only my pc is connected to it, the rest of my network isn't and that's what I would like to do, get them all connected to the vpn and using it at the same time.

Basically if its possible, I would like to stop using windows to connect to the vpn servers and if possible use my router so that it was connected to the vpn servers 24/7 and all traffic from all devices would automatically be using the vpn connection.

Is this possible ?

My vpn provider support pptp, L2TP/ipsec and openvpn if any of this matters ?

Can anyone help shed some light on my query ? is what I am asking doable ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

e.s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2013 15:34 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: VPN setup
Yes you can :)

make a lan to lan VPN profile, set it to dial out using PPTP or L2TPwith IPSec (depending on what your provider supports)
You can leave the LAN settings as they are (remote subnet is 0.0.0.0 with mask of 255.255.255.0)
On the right hand side, change the "Route" setting to "NAT" and tick the change default route to this VPN tunnel then that should work :)

• e.s
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2013 22:49 #3 by e.s
Replied by e.s on topic Re: VPN setup
Great, thats the kinda reply i was hoping for.

It's a little late for me to do it now, but I shall give it a try tomorrow 8) any problems and i will post back amd let you know.

Thanks again for your reply and your guide on how to do it, it is very much appreciated :wink:

More
04 Dec 2013 10:39 #4 by martin h
Replied by martin h on topic Re: VPN setup
Hi, I have a similar requirement. I use StrongVPN as we spend time between the US and UK and it allows us to carry on using local services from wherever we are.
However, today its just on the PC and we have (increasingly common) phones/appletv/ps3/ipads/etc etc and ideally we would be able to on demand flip the device (ori if needs be) OR the whole router over to the VPN connection.

I have the 2830n and I think this should be possible but I have no familiarity with VPN setups and I am getting lost a little in the language and expectations (understandable) many posts have that you understand networks/routers at a low level - because unfortunately I don't!

Can anyone help with these questions?

Can I establish a VPN connection to StrongVPN (PPTP) with my existing router?
Can I flip individual devices or do I have to flip the whole router each time to achieve this? (I have seen reference to load balancing techniques but don't fully grasp this)
Can I improve my options by buying a second Vigor router and placing it within the existing network (as well OR instead of the 2830n) to achieve this.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated