DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

dial-up VPN access not working on 2960

• mtecware
  • Topic Author
More
05 Nov 2013 13:13 #1 by mtecware
dial-up VPN access not working on 2960 was created by mtecware
I recently replaced a 5510 that we had run for a few years for a 2960.
The OS is different so I had to re-enter all the config manually, but I am convinced it is all correct.

Everything works, including a permanent LAN-to-LAN VPN with a remote office, but try as I might I cannot get the dial-in VPN for remote users to work, I just get various protocol errors not matter which combination of IPSEC, PPTP/L2P I use.
This is the same whether using the standard VPN clients on Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 and even a VPN client in Linux, all of which used to work fine on the old 5510.

Sample lines from syslog:
<141>Nov 5 21:06:39 Vigor: pptp[30295]: anon warn[open_inetsock:pptp_callmgr.c:340]: connect: Connection timed out
<141>Nov 5 21:06:39 Vigor: pppd[30295]: anon fatal[callmgr_main:pptp_callmgr.c:135]: Could not open control connection to 80.175.253.135
<141>Nov 5 21:06:39 Vigor: pptp[28195]: Call manager exited with error 256
<141>Nov 5 21:06:45 Vigor: pluto[11000]: packet from 80.175.254.241:500: initial Main Mode message received on 80.175.213.1:500 but no connection has been authorized

It would probably help if I know what error 256 means....

Not desperate, but any suggestions welcome from other users.

Thanks!

Peter Rose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jamessp1
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
22 Nov 2013 12:39 #2 by jamessp1
Replied by jamessp1 on topic Re: dial-up VPN access not working on 2960
Same problem here. 2960 to 2960 VPN works really well. Never fails, BUT.....

.... nothing else works reliably for dial-in users. The worst thing is that none of the how-to guides match the 2960 GUI and configuration settings. It's really annoying and pretty arrogant of Draytek that a new router GUI and config is released, and after 12 months the documentation is still incomplete and FAQ's show no progress in being updated. I can't even get the necessary documentation or support to configure an SSL tunnel. Bah.

BTW, don't get me started on the fact that the 2960 RDP and VNC java is so horrible that it only runs on very old XP, and that the 2960 certificates and error messages all show Vigor 3900 text messages. To be honest I hate this router, it's just becoming so unimportant to our business that I cease to care. Other routers from more professional vendors do a a better job, and we buy those now. As soon as we have depreciated this Draytek on the balance sheet, well be ditching it. Client software is outdated, documentation is awful, no TELNET guides, the FAQ's and support all show previous versions and GUI... awful. Oh yeah, and configs can't be reliably saved between upgrades. If you re-apply a saved config to a newer version of the router OS, many screens are not populated properly or never work again. And passwords are saved in your config in clear text.....

I'm going to stop now. I get so depressed with the infernal triangle of arrogance, ignorance and complacency that this range or routers suffer from.

Ug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.