LAN to LAN (Using backup WAN1)

• johncassell1983
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Nov 2013 16:59 #1 by johncassell1983
LAN to LAN (Using backup WAN1) was created by johncassell1983
Hi all, we have two drayteks and are linking both via LANtoLAN VPN. Head office Router 1 uses WAN2 as its main internet connection and router 2 uses WAN1 (ADSL) as its normal internet.

Our VPNs are working but I'd like to set them up so that if WAN2 fails at head office, it will move straight across to create the link via WAN1 (ADSL).

At the moment router 2 is expecting a call from router 1 on WAN2 IP address 213.x.x.x but if that IP goes offline then it wont accept a call from the backup ADSL 83.x.x.x.

I've tried making the VPN dial-out only but can't get the connection to work. All the tutorials say that somewhere you have to enter our Head office WAN IP address to get it to work but if I enter an IP address it would have to be the 213.x.x. address and when failover is needed, it won't know about the 83.x.x.x address.

Does that make any sense?. Basically Router2 should accept the call from either IP address and Router1 should be able to make the call from either IP address.

Hope someone can help, thanks - John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
26 Nov 2013 14:10 #2 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: LAN to LAN (Using backup WAN1)
If the remote office in just one IP then you create 2 LAN2LAN profiles on that router exactly the same but with the different end point address to the separate WANs at head office.

At head office you just need one profile but as Dial-Out and change the Interface to WAN2 first. then it WAN2 fails it ill dial from WAN1 on the other IP address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.