• llama_thumper
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
19 Jan 2014 22:26 #1 by llama_thumper
win7 network discovery across a VPN tunnel was created by llama_thumper
hi guys,

I have searched the forum but don't seem to be able to find an answer. here goes:

I have two vigor 2130n routers (both running latest firmware, 1.5.3). they are at separate physical locations and have a VPN LAN to LAN tunnel between them. the PCs at each end operate win7 sp1 x64. I have opened certain ports on those PCs so am able to access the PCs directly, and map drives, with no problem.
the first network is in the 192.168.0.1 range, the other one in the 192.168.1.1 range.

what I would like however is, at each end of the VPN, being able to see the PCs in network discovery (ie when I click on 'network'). right now the PCs can only see the other PCs in their local physical network, but not across the VPN.
switching off the firewall at both ends does not change anything. I have tried, in the properties of the network (in IP4 properties) enabling NetBIOS, with no luck.

any idea as to how to get this to work? any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wilsodg
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2017 23:55 #2 by wilsodg
Bumping an old post, since I am also looking to do this.
I have a 2925 on one end, and a 2830n on the other. VPN tunnel works fine but not netbios name discovery.
I have ticked the pass Netbios across the VPN. Would I also have to tick the multicast via vpn to pick up the name broadcast. The only with this is I do have some cameras and other streaming devices although I do not thing the cameras a multicasting (you need to log into them).

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
04 Feb 2017 01:36 #3 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: win7 network discovery across a VPN tunnel
I seem to recall this is related to having "browse masters" on each of the LANs (back in the days of NetBIOS/NBNS/WINS/LANMAN)
Passing NetBIOS traffic in itself won't fix the issue, this kind of browsing which is rooted in workgroup topology expects a "flat" network (a single broadcast domain) so doesn't naturally propagate across subnets.
If you have Windows machines both ends, you can enable the Computer Browser Service (if that's what it's called these days - I stopped using Windows after NT4/2000)
Googling "netbios browsing across subnets" will bring back a ton of stuff.
Best of luck !
Simon