DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Do I need to buy a dray tech ?

• antihacker
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2014 22:10 #1 by antihacker
Do I need to buy a dray tech ? was created by antihacker
Last year my business was destroyed in a targeted attack by professional hired hackers.

Since then I've read a lot on hacking and realised its very simple to by pass any firewall and access any computer - provided your have an I.P or/and mac address.

I don't really know what a VPN is but my question is - if I buy a draytek router with a VPN will this hide my I.P address?

I don't need to access other computers remotely or anything like that. I only have 1 PC I work from (although am considering building a dedicated PF_sense firewall with Intrusion Detection Systems and cloud logging).

My question is - will this hardware VPN offered by draytek protect me?

I have read how to create a VPN by hiring server space and using Open source scripts and strong swan you can create a VPN that way...

or I could just hire one.

After losing my business I'm so scared to use the internet at all any more I just want someone who understands all this to explain to me if this product is what I need to hide my I.P and stop the attackers or am I going about it the wrong way?

Last time my home PC was attacked. They got my I.P from a .PNG image in an e-mail that grabbed my I.P - after that we we're under 24/7 attack by an automated botnet / rootkit. Any PC or phone plugged into the line was hijacked and destroyed at firmware level and the perpetrators never caught as they were using innocent peoples PCs in this botnet to fire it at us.

I lost a 6 figure business, 8 years of work, my entire life to it - so I'm very afraid to do anything anymore. I don't want to start again without knowing I have the best protection against hackers I can get. I want an armoured tank of a PC. Else I'm giving up and just gonna sign on for welfare!!!

When you go through what I went through... you would understand. It was complete mental breakdown to lose my entire life to these sadists who destroyed my business, carrear and years of work. :cry:

Any one who can offer me advice - its much appreciated. I want to know what to do.

At the moment my plan is;
Firstly switch operating system toi a security focused one; Alpine linux and/or TrustedBSD have been recommended.
Draytek VPN and a dedicated PC firfewall were also recommended.

I'm not sure though, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• antihacker
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2014 14:16 #2 by antihacker
Replied by antihacker on topic Re: Do I need to buy a dray tech ?
Sorry didnt mean to post my life story,

can someone explain in laymans terms if having this router will keep my I.P hidden?

I know a VPN connects me securely to another PC but is it going to help if a hacker sends an attack to try and grab my I.P address?

I run gift shops and the hackers got my I.P via e-mail and some exploit and destroyed my home PCs that I work from.

I'm looking for a solution to this issue.

More
05 Feb 2014 13:39 #3 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: Do I need to buy a dray tech ?
The router will NOT hide your IP address. Indeed, if you are hosting a gift shop then the wider internet will NEED to know your IP address or no one will be able to access your website.

What you really need is a robust firewall and some denial of service defense. Fortunately Draytek routers can provide this level of functionality. Unfortunately it's not just a case of ''press a button and no one can get into my network''. You need to allow certain traffic through to local devices. Mostly you need to have the correct balance between allowing people to access your services and protecting the rest of your network.

If this is something that you desperately require for your business then I strongly suggest that you hire a qualified professional to configure your firewall and router for you. Even the strongest firewall in existense is completely useless if configured incorrectly.