DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN to LAN cant access PC, but dial in can

• lectrician
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2015 17:18 #1 by lectrician
LAN to LAN cant access PC, but dial in can was created by lectrician
I have a 2830 at one end, and am trying to connect an older 2820 via VPN.

The VPN connects great, and can ping the majority of hosts just fine, and can be accessed.

I have just one which refuses to respond. I would like to be able to RDC to one PC, and while I can ping it, and RDC to it perfectly via dial in user, when the LAN to LAN connection is alive, I cannot ping it or connect to it via RDC.

I thought it likely to be the XP firewall, so added an exception for the remote subnet, still no joy. Turned the firewall off completely, still nothing. There are no other firewalls.

I have quite a few LAN to LAN links up and runnings across sites, and this is the first I am struggling with like this. I can RDC to other PC's on the network, but just not this one.

I have firewalls rules blocking everything, and then allowing access to just certain PC's. This PC is one that is blocked still. I have however setup a WAN to LAN firewall rule (and visa versa) for the remote subnet, and this then allows access to other hosts on the remote subnet (without this rule, no access).

I am not sure if this is perhaps an issue with this one machine, or the router.

I have established test LAN to LAN VPNs from other vigors to the same site, and these too can connect to all hosts except this one PC.

I guess it points to the PC, but any ideas why? Or is there something I am missing?

Cheers ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lectrician
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2015 07:20 #2 by lectrician
Replied by lectrician on topic Re: LAN to LAN cant access PC, but dial in can
Umm. Fixed.

The XP PC had it's IP statically assigned in it's network connection, but had no gateway specified (it does not need or want the internet). Without the gateway specified, LAN to LAN VPN would not work, only dial in user. Not sure why, but hey! I have filled in the gateway, but the strict firewall in the draytek still prevents internet access on that PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami