DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

RRAS Demand Dial to 2860 - just stopped working

• stevepritchard
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2015 18:31 #1 by stevepritchard
RRAS Demand Dial to 2860 - just stopped working was created by stevepritchard
I've had Routing and Remote Access demand dial interfaces working on a couple of hosted virtual servers literally for years. Firstly to a 2600, and latterly to a 2820 and then 2860. A few nights ago they were rebooted, and as far as I can tell, since then I have been unable to get them to connect, and have tried all sorts. They are reporting an error code of 720.

What I had (and want) is for those Virtual Machines to call into my Vigor2860 and look as though they are present on my LAN with fixed (local) IP addresses.

If I set up "User" VPN connections on the servers, then they connect fine (but I think all traffic is then routed via my ADSL connection, which isn't ideal!). I really don't know what changed to stop the connections that worked for years, and I've tried all the usual rebooting at both ends, without success. Maybe it was a Windows Update (but the two OS's are different), or is it possible the 2860 is flaking out (I've even tried updating the firmware from 3.7.4.1 to 3.7.8, but it made no difference).

In an attempt to see whether it was a problem with my Virtual Server supplier, I've set up a trial with a completely different provider, and am experiencing the same symptoms on the newly configured server.

These are the entries I get in the Syslog:

2015-03-11 18:28:38 [L2L][DOWN][PPTP][@3:Test]
2015-03-11 18:28:38 PPP Drop VPN : L2L Dial-in, Profile index = 3, Name = Test, ifno = 10

In some configurations I do see an "UP" first, as well as the "DOWN", but always within the same second, so it obviously comes up for a fraction of a second, and then something causes it to drop immediately (but I can't seem to find out what).

Can anybody offer either an explanation, or advice on how this problem can be corrected, or maybe even just an alternatiev suggestion as to how I could achieve what I want?

I simply want to be able to access those remote servers, hosted by a 3rd party Virtual Server provider, as if they were on my LAN, i.e. file sharing, etc. In the past I could even block the RDP port 3389 from the public facing IP because I was able to access it via the VPN.

Cheers,

Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.