Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN to LAN VPN and Virgin Media

• stevenp
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2015 10:51 #1 by stevenp
LAN to LAN VPN and Virgin Media was created by stevenp
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has problems with Virgin media cable and running a Site to Site VPN using two Draytek routers and the Virgin Super Hub2 in modem mode. My routers both say they are connected but no traffic flows over the VPN connection, including cannot ping routers and PC on either side of the connection. Its an annoying problem because the VPN reports connected, can drop and reconnect without an issue but even after dropping the connection traffic just does not flow.

A hardware restart of the Virgin Superhub fixes the traffic which makes me wonder if Virgin has done an update or something recently because this has been solid in the past. Obviously my preference would be to remove the cheap and nasty Superhub from the solution completely but I'm not aware of any router that can connect directly to the cable and certainly not a Draytek ;-)

Thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zdz
  • User
  • User
More
10 Apr 2015 13:08 #2 by zdz
Replied by zdz on topic Re: LAN to LAN VPN and Virgin Media
Did you make any progress on this Steve?

I'll be doing the same shortly, but with Super Hub v1's at each end.

Will report back.

This is not the first report of problems with SH2's. :@

I'd love to be able to swap them out with DOCSIS compatible modems.

• stevenp
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2015 09:06 #3 by stevenp
Replied by stevenp on topic Re: LAN to LAN VPN and Virgin Media
Stability improved after updating all the firmware on the Drayteks at both ends and doesn't require rebooting as much but sometimes the Virgin box just needs to be power cycled. But much better than it was.

• zdz
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2015 12:15 #4 by zdz
Replied by zdz on topic Re: LAN to LAN VPN and Virgin Media
I have to say that I've not had any issues with my setup using VM SHv1's at either end.
VPN has been very stable, tunnel did actually drop last weekend, but a reboot of one Draytek brought it back up.
To this end, I've set up a daily reboot schedule for each Draytek in the early hours, using their in-built process.

Virgin SHv1 -- Draytek 2860n+ <---WAN---> Draytek 2860n+ -- Virgin SHv1

Latest FW on the Drayteks.

-=zdz=-