DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Quality of Service (QOS) for RDP across a VPM

• aclarke6
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2015 11:31 #1 by aclarke6
Hi folks,

I have a Vigor 2860 which is at the hub of a star of VPNs. Traffic down these VPNs can be for RDP on port 3390 and general Server to Server file movements.

The Issue
Every so often, someone dumps a large set of files on one of the servers and this then takes 95% of the upload bandwidth on the hub router, giving the RDP sessions very poor performance. I can restrict the bandwidth on the server that is sending down to 10Mb Upload and regain performance for RDP traffic. I think that I should be setting QOS for RDP traffic to the Remote Desktop servers rather than bandwidth restriction to file server as this will restrict bandwidth all the time rather than guaranteeing a minimum bandwidth for RDP.

My issue is that, because all traffic is via VPNs, I don't seem to be able to set any QOS for RDP traffic. Can this be done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maddriver
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Jul 2015 16:54 #2 by maddriver
Exactly the question I came here to ask! Only in my case 2820's at each end of the vpn, and it's pc's at the Head Office slurping the bandwidth.

QOS seems the ideal solution but I can't see how to get it to apply to the vpn.

• maddriver
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Jul 2015 17:00 #3 by maddriver
Extra bit of searching found this thread: http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16150&p=68648&hilit=qos#p68648

Will be giving it a go in the morning!

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jul 2015 11:45 #4 by sicon
It does work when set up correctly and looks like this