• garagesoft
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jan 2016 13:32 #1 by garagesoft
2830n for VPN ONLY was created by garagesoft
Hi

I used to be on here a lot 10 to 15 years ago but not been around since then as I changed jobs and it looks like my old account has been deleted.

I have a friend who used the Vigor 2830n for his work network on BT and had it all set up so he could VPN into his network with no problem. Then one day Virgin Media came to see him and convinced him to change to them for faster speed and cheaper prices. He signed up and the broadband was swapped over. Now, obviously, his VPN does not work and the company that set it all up for him originally have ceased trading. That's when he contacted me!

Now, I have not done this sort of thing for quite a while, so I am quite rusty.

Things I know I have to do:
  • Configure port forwarding on the Virgin Media router.
    Setup a VPN server inside the network.

My question is:
  • Can I use the the Vigor 2830n
inside the network purely as a VPN server?
If so, how do I best set this up and disable all other services so they do not interfere with the existing setup

I am pretty certain this should be possible and could probably muddle through setting it up, but rather than waste time and effort, I thought I might as well check with the experts!

Thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2016 15:50 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2830n for VPN ONLY
It's not really 'inside' the network, it's just a secondary router... So you use the Vigor's Ethernet
WAN port and ideally put the virgin device into bridge mode (if you can) or, like you say,
do the relevant port forwards.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.