PPTP support is gone in iOS10!Help with my 2830n VPNs needed

• quietleni
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Oct 2016 13:48 #1 by quietleni
Dear All,

I have a Draytek 2830n router and I have been using it to connect via PPTP for a long time. However, my principle piece of kit for connecting via VPN is an iPhone and we all upgraded to iOS 10.

Problem is, quietly, Apple removed PPTP support from the OS (with a single support page) and so now I am picking up the pieces.

I have tried to configure all of the settings on the router and the iPhone, but it is not working, using IPSec.

Has anyone else had success with setting up the Vigor 2830n with IPSec and get an iPhone with iOS 10 to connect?

Thanks in advance,

QuietLeni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• quietleni
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2016 15:46 #2 by quietleni
Found a little more on this:
https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-vpn/vpn.ssl-vpn/how-to-use-smartvpn-ios-app-and-establish-ssl-vpn-to-vigor-router/
Does this apply to the 2830n? I cannot find a "Create Root CA" button in the UI. Is there any other way?

More
06 Oct 2016 16:27 #3 by admin3
Please have a read of this guide instead:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-teleworker-smartvpn-ios

The facility to set the Certificate security level was added after that original guide you've linked was made.

In the iOS Smart VPN settings, set the Certificate Level to "Basic" and that should allow the connection to work; I'm not sure that the Vigor 2830 supports that certificate feature, that would be Vigor 2860 and later routers.

Forum Administrator

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
07 Oct 2016 20:08 #4 by sjltech.uk
Hi QuietLeni,
I've got an iPhone 6 running iOS10 and a Draytek 2925.
I'm using L2TP on the iPhone to VPN back to the 2925 without any problems.
Sorry I'm not familiar with the 2830n, so this may be no help at all, in which case I apologise.
Happy to try and help if I can ?
Best wishes
Simon

• quietleni
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Oct 2016 11:59 #5 by quietleni

admin3 wrote: Please have a read of this guide instead:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-teleworker-smartvpn-ios

The facility to set the Certificate security level was added after that original guide you've linked was made.

In the iOS Smart VPN settings, set the Certificate Level to "Basic" and that should allow the connection to work; I'm not sure that the Vigor 2830 supports that certificate feature, that would be Vigor 2860 and later routers.

Wow! That was the answer! I used the "Basic" mode in the SmartVPN App and it connected straight through!

So much better than PPTP!

Blessings,

QuietLeni