Which VPN?

• footsore
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2016 18:19 #1 by footsore
Which VPN? was created by footsore
I'm off on holiday in the future and want to be able to access the router and guest WiFi while away to ensure it is still working. I'm a complete VPN numpty (just never needed one).

Everything I read suggests OpenVPN which isn't possible (I don't think) on the 2860n. So what should I be setting up for maximum security. Speed not relevant as I will only have the router and a wifi point on the network while away. Will have MacBook, Windows 10 laptop and iphone with us while away, don't care which I use to login. Will have plenty of time to set-up and test. Just need to know what is most secure option and what options to enable.

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
08 Nov 2016 21:51 #2 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: Which VPN?
Hi Dave,
I've been using the built-in VPN capabilities on my MacBook without any issues.
Apart from setting up DDNS, I'm not using anything that's not built in to either the Draytek or the MacBook.
I'm using a dual WAN 2925 router with BT and Virgin interfaces, so have 2 DDNS names set-up, then 2 VPN connections on the Draytek, and 2 on the MacBook (just keeps everything neat and tidy)
Had this running for a good amount of time now, and not had any problems, apart from random drops on the Virgin connection (modem mode) which AREN'T to do with the VPN.
More than happy to share a document I drew up to set this up ('cos I wanted to make sure I had something to remind me how to do it if it ever broke :lol: )
I note that Draytek now have an SSL VPN client app available too - have downloaded but not investigated.
I have successfully tethered my MacBook to my iPhone, and used the iPhone to get a VPN connection, over 3G back to the router, and whilst I wouldn't want to spend a LONG time doing anything with this set-up, it worked, and worked well.
Cheers
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.