LAN to LAN IPSEC VPN - add another WAN?

• trickyricky
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
16 Nov 2016 12:57 #1 by trickyricky
LAN to LAN IPSEC VPN - add another WAN? was created by trickyricky
I have set up a LAN to LAN IPSEC VPN for VOIP use between two sites using Draytek routers. One end is a 2860 (Set to dial out, always on) and the other is a 2830 (Dial in, timeout = 0). I set it up using the excellent Draytek guide and it worked straight away, and connects reliably, and keeps connected.

Now, at the 2860 end, there is a second WAN connection available. What is the best or correct way to take advantage of this second connection? Obviously it will have a different IP address from the first. But simply adding a second Dial-out connection for the additional WAN and adding another Dial-in connection at the other end won't do it, as there isn't a need for both to be up at the same time. What I need is some way of telling the routers that one or the other WAN connection can be used, but not necessarily both. Is the best way to do this to set up a VPN trunk? Or is there another/better way? Or should I just get both connections to be up and be happy with that?

The main concern is that if one of the WAN connections should drop, the other should be used to establish the VPN link. And vice versa.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2016 15:11 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: LAN to LAN IPSEC VPN - add another WAN?
The easy way to do that is to configure Dial IN VPN profiles for each WAN on the Vigor 2830, so that it will accept the VPN tunnel from either IP address that the 2860 can use.

In the 2860's VPN profile, set the VPN Dial-Out Through setting to WANx First, that way it will use that WAN if available and use the backup WAN if that main WAN interface drops.

Forum Administrator

• trickyricky
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
17 Nov 2016 09:35 #3 by trickyricky
Replied by trickyricky on topic Re: LAN to LAN IPSEC VPN - add another WAN?
Brilliant, thanks. I'll give that a go. So simple when you know!

Richard