Strange problem with Draytek VPN users and Load Balancing

• andyspeake
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Dec 2016 14:35 #1 by andyspeake
Hi Guys,

One client we have has a strange issue with a couple of users who VPN into the draytek.

Setup is as follows:
Draytek 2860 with 3.8.4_BT - We had the below issue on a 2830 which we swapped for this 2860 but still occurs.
We have 2 ADSL connections using WAN1 and WAN2. Load balancing is setup so users use one connection and the server uses the other (Uploading backup offsite etc..).
2 users VPN in using LT2P/Ipsec (We were on PPTP but as part of troubleshooting we moved over to L2TP and still get the same issue).

Issue:
The users will connect to the VPN fine but then sometimes randomly all access to the LAN just drops. You can ping the router but nothing else within the LAN.
Usually a combination of rebooting the router and playing around with the load balance policy for some PC's internally will fix the issue but i've got no idea why this is happening.
Traceroute shows the pings stopping at the router and getting no further.
Sometimes when you actually ping something on the LAN 1 packet will be access then the next 3 and the rest are fails.
The strange thing is if I try the VPN from another site it'll work fine. The issue has occurred over 2 separate connections though (1 BT supplied connection and 1 sky) so I don't think it's a weird issue with the users home connections.

I've attached a screenshot of the load balance setup at the moment but any idea where I might be going wrong? We've use draytek everywhere but never had or seen this before. Some routing policy problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.