DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Home network to VPN provider set up help

More
25 Dec 2016 14:16 #1 by dg555
Hi all,
I've received a new Draytek 2860 for the purpose of securing my home network to the outside world and increased privacy on the web. I don't want to run clients on every device as some aren't supported so fronting the network with a VPN just makes more sense. Setting up the connection to my ISP was very simple but I'd like to know the best way to set up the VPN on the router. I've also set up DHCP on the router to provide addresses to my home network.

I did some testing based off what a friend had already done with his by setting up a LAN to LAN VPN connection from the router to HIDEIPVPN and noticed a possibly predictable few outcomes:

1. It worked and the new public IP was show as one associated to someone other than my ISP.
2. Devices *external* to my network were getting DHCP addresses! I saw a couple of iPads and iPhones on my DHCP table - I immediately shut it down and here I am wondering what other config I've missed off or more to the point, how would you guys configure the box to achieve my desired outcome?

The setup was very similar to this example for a different VPN provider https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202720996-Draytek-router-PPTP-setup

All suggestions welcome :)

Thx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2016 15:02 #2 by dg555
Resovled it (or at least found where the problem is). Looks like HideIPVPN has something up with it and it's somehow allowing devices also on that provider to my DHCP scope. While the devices weren't actually on my network as confirmed by ARP and some other tools it was enough for me to cancel the trial early.

Very odd and nobody can seem to get what happened. HideIPVPN blamed my router config despite nothing similar happening on 3 other VPNs all using the same config.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.