DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Smart VPN Client - asking for admin credentials.

• akociolek
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2017 14:24 #1 by akociolek
Hi,

I want to use Smart VPN client with SSL VPN connection setup. I got everything working apart from:

The client each time started on a restricted user account in windows 10 it asks for administrator credentials. I tried disabling UAC, smart screen etc. nothing works. Anyone has any idea how to make the application run under restricted account without the need for Admin credentials?

Any scripts cmd's etc. don't want to store any admin passwords in a text file.

Or maybe Draytek designed the application only for Admin use???

Any input from Draytek is welcomed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• akociolek
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2017 11:15 #2 by akociolek
Anyone has any ideas how to start it on a restricted domain user without elevation??????

• akociolek
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2017 14:51 #3 by akociolek
Got a very extensive answer from Draytek:

Thank you for your email.

DrayTek smart VPN client application is designed to run in only administrator mode.

Really stunned by this, what's the point of this application then? Why release it when only admin can use it or you create a major security flaw on your network by allowing domain user as local admin???

More
02 Mar 2017 17:37 #4 by gbrown100
I'll be honest and say that I like Draytek routers but their VPN client is a pile of doodoo's. With consistent corruption of the VPPP.sys, it's rather quirky behaviour on certain 4G connections / with certain routers and of course this problem you mention where you have to be local admin I'm starting to look at alternatives.

We work a lot with Ubiquiti but they don't even have anything other than PPTP support yet so I'm currently looking at PFSense which is an excellent all rounder platform. The OpenVPN support is really good and the client can be configured in user mode as well.

I doubt complaining about it here will affect Draytek's decisions but I guess at least it feels good to vent!

Graham

More
02 Mar 2017 18:36 #5 by admin
I've a feeling the admin restriction is a Windows 10... (not sure though)

Forum Administrator