• alanwooler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 May 2017 12:02 #1 by alanwooler
VPN for a newbie was created by alanwooler
Hi all,
I have been reading a load of the topics people have written about VPN, but can't find one that gives 1,2,3 steps on how to set it up from scratch.
I have the below units to use:
2830n
2920n

I want to use one of them (I don't care which one) as a VPN server so my Windows laptops or Android phones can connect to it through the internet. I have gone through the help files also that I could see on the web site and done of them fit my requirements.
Do any of you know where I can get the simplest set of instructions for a noob on how to get VPN working for a dial in user. I am currently using a Sky Q hub as my router and will tell it to forward ALL traffic to the Draytek turning the Sky Q into just a modem (will also turn of wireless) and my actual network will be behind the Draytek. I also installed last night a Wireless Access point inside my network so it is all modular. The Draytek won't be used for wireless, DHCP or as a modem. It will do some Port Forwarding like to by FTP Sever, but that will be all.

Can anybody point me to some sort of guide or tell me the basic steps?

Thank you in advanced for those who are able to help me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 May 2017 16:18 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VPN for a newbie
There are quite a few guides in the " Product Knowledge Base " - such as: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-teleworker-smartvpn-ssl?return=8606403

I would recommend using the Draytek "Smart VPN" client on Android - it seems much more reliable than the built-in stuff. The version for Windows is quite good too - especially for getting things working in the first place (it seems to be a configuration tool really, rather than actual connectivity software).

Whatever else you do - DON'T use PPTP ... it was compromised many moons ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.