Smart VPN App Iphone Send All Traffic

• johnpa7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jul 2017 16:07 #1 by johnpa7
Smart VPN App Iphone Send All Traffic was created by johnpa7
HI I have SmartVPN running on iPhone 6, 2860AC router.

Have mOTP enabled
Connect on Demand
Send All Traffic enabled.

I have BlueIris app installed to view cctv, running on Server at home

When I start the BlueIris app, Smart VPN starts to load, connect Ok

If I use other apps eg Post Office Travel Money the VPN connection does not start. Should it ?
I start the VPN app and then start Travel Money. Does this then connect through SmartVPN?

When Smart VPN is running and connected, am I correct that all traffic is routed through VPN to home and then onto the web. For example Safari browser will route through VPN to home and then onto Web.

Thanks for assistance, as no doubt obvious I am beginner at VPN, still learning

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2017 17:39 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Smart VPN App Iphone Send All Traffic
If "Send All Traffic" is enabled in the SmartVPN app, then yes it will send all Internet traffic as well as just local traffic through the VPN tunnel. That can be useful but can also be slower, I haven't come across a VPN tunnel stopping other apps from functioning.

If you only need to access local devices remotely across the VPN, un-tick "Send All Traffic" so that only LAN traffic gets sent through the VPN tunnel, that will stop it impacting other applications.

Forum Administrator

• johnpa7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2017 12:19 #3 by johnpa7
Replied by johnpa7 on topic Re: Smart VPN App Iphone Send All Traffic
Hi thanks for the clarification, being a home user was not sure if all traffic Safari etc went via the VPN tunnel.

On the iphone had to manually start the VPN before reading mail. I had set the "On Demand Rule" to mail.gmail.com, opening mail app no VPN tunnel. Changed on demand rule to imap.gmail.com, now starting the mail app and VPN tunnel establishes.