• cwager990
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
22 Feb 2018 09:48 #1 by cwager990
VPN Login - Using AD /LDAP was created by cwager990
Hi Guys

I have attempted to setup my Vigor 2860, to Authenticate PPTP Users, Against a Microsoft Active Directory - Domain Controller.

And no matter what I try I can not get this to work, can anyone explain to me how I do this please.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 13:37 #2 by rustyhill
Replied by rustyhill on topic Re: VPN Login - Using AD /LDAP
Hi

Shame nobody picked up on this, as I'm trying to do the same thing. I already support numerous users who have hardwired accounts on the 2860 but this can cause problems it seems with their Draytek VPN creds getting passed to the remote Windows box and being rejected - as they are not their AD creds.

So to me the answer seemed to be to use AD creds throughout which also means user VPN pswds would roll over every 59 days along with their Domain pswds.

But, like you, despite having read the 'How to.' notes and checked that LDAP search works, I can't get the 2860 to validate against a DC...sigh.

Rusty Hill

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Mar 2018 17:59 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VPN Login - Using AD /LDAP
I think I got as far as you with this, but never got it to work.

However ... RADIUS works OK.

In Network Policy Server, on my olde-worlde Windows Server 2008 R2 box, I set a policy which checks that the user is member of an AD group (VPN Users). To my mind, using an NPS Policy turns out to be more flexible, than validating directly against AD. (I don't know what WS2012 and WS2016 add, in terms of functionality)

• adrianpbrown
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
17 May 2018 13:14 #4 by adrianpbrown
Replied by adrianpbrown on topic Re: VPN Login - Using AD /LDAP
Has ANYONE got this to work, ive had VERY limited success, even though the ldap query works during the setup it doesnt seem to authenticate for the VPN connection. Maybe I should look at a different authentication method???