2862n not resolving DDNS address for VPN

• rstephens
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2018 10:16 #1 by rstephens
2862n not resolving DDNS address for VPN was created by rstephens
Have a friend with a 2862n and I have a 2760n and I'm trying to get a LAN-to-LAN L2TCP VPN working properly.

Both have DDNS setup with changeip.org, yet putting the DDNS Peer ID of the 2760n into the "Dial-In Settings/Specify Remote VPN Gateway" section on the 2862n the connection is never made. However if I put the current resolved DDNS ip address into the "Peer VPN Server IP" address field the connection comes up instantly. This is then ok until either router either gets rebooted or the ISP changes the wan ip.

PPTP works fine using the DDNS addresses. IPSec doesn't work either.

Both routers are using the ISP default dns servers. (TalkTalk)

Has anybody come across this before? I think this might be a firmware bug as I suspect if a FQDN address was put in place for the "Peer ID" it would work.

Regs,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 17:21 #2 by admin3
IPsec (and L2TP over IPsec) requires IP addresses to identify each side. That's only for Main mode though - if you're setting up an IPsec VPN and the dialling side has a dynamic address, you should configure the IPsec part of the VPN to use Aggressive mode.

Alternatively, you could look at using SSL VPN, which should accept DDNS hostnames the same as PPTP.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.