DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN not working on Win 7 Pro

More
23 Sep 2018 01:46 #13 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VPN not working on Win 7 Pro
A word about the SmartVPN Client and SSL...

I couldn't get Versions 5.0.0 or 4.3.4 to connect at all on Windows 7 Pro. I have an older version 4.3.3.3 which worked first time, with more or less default settings. ( I just disabled SSL 3.0 )

With V5.0.0 / 4.3.4 I could see the CHAP Negotiation start, but it never completed. Eventually, SmartVPN times out. V4.3.3.3 connects in just under four seconds :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andrewc
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2018 12:02 #14 by andrewc
Replied by andrewc on topic Re: VPN not working on Win 7 Pro
hornbyp

Thanks very much for the extensive how-to. On the face of it the procedure looks similar to what I do but I will work my way through it as soon as time permits.

SmartVPN - doesn't connect.. aha!

>V4.3.3.3 connects in just under four seconds :)

Is there anywhere I could get a copy of that version?

More
23 Sep 2018 12:26 #15 by hornbyp

• andrewc
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2018 12:56 #16 by andrewc
Thanks. Got that now :)

More
24 Sep 2018 00:18 #17 by hornbyp
It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. I reckon it must be one of:-

• Wrong username / password.

• Include Windows Logon Domain ticked

• Missing Shared key/certificate for IPsec

• Incompatible authentication methods - i.e. PAP at one end and CHAP at the other

• Firewall either on Windows 7 or client-site Router.

While messing around with a Windows 10 machine and my remote 2830, I found I couldn't establish an L2TP connection, with IPSec policy set to "none". I'd done this accidentally, but it prevented the connection getting past the authentication stage. I'm not entirely sure of the logic behind that...

Don't forget the olde-worlde Rasphone and Rasdial commands - the latter is especially useful for checking passwords, 'cos you can send them in plain text :-

Code:
D:\>rasdial "My VPN Connection" TestUser TestPassword Connecting to My VPN Connection... Verifying username and password... Registering your computer on the network... Successfully connected to My VPN Connection. Command completed successfully. D:\>

(Rasphone is a quick way of viewing/modifying/creating/invoking RAS Profiles - but I think it's also the only way to turn on the logging, though I might be wrong on that. In any case, the resulting "Remote Access Diagnostic Report" is one of these things that tells you nothing...in great detail :D

Something just came back to me...

You may be able to copy the "Rasphone.pbk" from a working machine, to the non-working machine to eliminate the RAS Profile as the source of error.
These seem to be stored in either "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\pbk" (shared ones presumably) or "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk" (You might have to hunt for them!)

• andrewc
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2018 10:08 #18 by andrewc
hornbyp

Thanks for that also. I'll try and make some time for testing that all out this week and report back. However I think that something like a wrong password would give different errors to the ones I am getting, and remember I now have multiple profiles set up for testing different protocols with different Logins on the 2860 so I would have to have got them all wrong!

Another thought that occurs - could it be Bitdefender AV blocking something? That is installed on the non-working Win7 Pro machine but not the working one. On the other hand it is also installed on the working Win 10 machine!

Moderators: Sami