Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PPP - End of my sanity, connection fine on one machine only

• karlfbate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2018 12:33 #1 by karlfbate
Ok folks I apologise if someone as answered this beforehand but I am literally going mad. I have a Draytek 2860 router setup verbatim from the forums/web pages to allow L2TP connection via Draytek 5.00 smart client, on a Windows 10 x64 Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.285] and it works 100% fine. I have installed the Draytek client onto a secondary Windows 10 machine pretty much the same as the working one, and guess what it states PPP error!!!! I have removed and added miniport network adaptors, I have removed and reinstalled the Draytek software, I even looked in the registry as one post suggested. Nothing nadder not a thing. What ever I do I cannot get it to work, it is literally to the point where I am contemplating a third party software solution. This should work, why, oh why do we have to make life increasingly more and more difficult for ourselves in IT. Can someone shed a light as to why I can get one machine to work and not another. Happy to post logs etc providing I get a sensible response. I have also copied the .cfg file from the working machine to the secondary machine and still it does not work.

Don't even mention SSL VPN I have never got this to work, I am happy to listen and try anything at this stage :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• karlfbate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2018 19:06 #2 by karlfbate
I have done some more testing, and found something if someone else could shed some light on where I might going wrong. I have put the Draytek Smart Client onto a vanilla built Windows 7 PC and setup the connection to the VPN via L2TP. And is has connected first and every time without a problem. I therefore conclude there is something wrong with the Windows 10 machine such as a patch, or a bad virtual driver or some such. Anyone else had this issue with a already built workstation and the VPN Client not working, and dropped on what it is that resolves the issue???

I await peoples responce

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2018 23:46 #3 by hornbyp

karlfbate wrote: I await peoples responce

Your problems seem similar to the shenanigans in this thread: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22606 i.e supposedly identical settings working on one m/c and not another.

Maybe you could try the same 'trick' of copying the phonebook "Rasphone.pbk" from one m/c to the other. AFAIK, Draytek Smartvpn does not actually implement the VPN (except for SSL) - it just configures a RAS profile called "To Vigor" (which is stored in the phonebook). (SmartVPN does do the actual work for SSL VPNs)

I wouldn't actually expect this to fix anything - but I didn't in the case above either... :?

• karlfbate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Sep 2018 18:19 #4 by karlfbate
I played devil's advocate over this and I built a bland Windows 10 machine with current updates, and, then I set up a VPN connection through the native Windows networking configuration, hey presto that worked. I am now trying to fathom if this is down to a Windows update that has either been superseded or as I suspect issued and then either resined or replaced with builds not say as of September 2018. If anyone again as ideas please send them across it is ridiculous that this should be complicated and so fussy. I have rolled out Draytek for years currently most of my client run them and I have a 2862 LAC running for myself, but alas run OpenVPN for my needs. It's a shame that such a fantastic router product that Draytek make should suffer this Achilles heal of a problem.