• warmbells
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Oct 2018 23:36 #1 by warmbells
VPN with iPhone 6 was created by warmbells
Hi all,
I'm getting a Vigor 2830 at the weekend (Saturday or Monday to set up VPN for a couple of devices I have already been advised to download and update to the latest firmware. Does anyone know if there are any apps that will let me use my iPhone to dial in? How would I set up for an iPhone?
Thanks,
Gerald

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2018 02:31 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VPN with iPhone 6
See: https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-vpn/vpn.ssl-vpn/how-to-use-smartvpn-ios-app-and-establish-ssl-vpn-to-vigor-router/

which describes Draytek's SSL VPN Client for iOS. (Available from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/smart-vpn/id1071356755?mt=8

I don't know a great deal about Apple devices, but I'm reasonably sure it has a native (i.e. built-in) L2TP/IPSec VPN client, if you prefer that to SSL.

(This doesn't seem to work from Android to a 2830, though it does work from Android to a 2860. There again, Windows 10 can make L2TP connections to a 2830, so who knows where the incompatibility actually lies ... I wouldn't like to predict the result for iOS :? )

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2018 11:20 #3 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: VPN with iPhone 6

hornbyp wrote:
(This doesn't seem to work from Android to a 2830, though it does work from Android to a 2860.

Android L2TP/IPSEC VPN connection success very much depends on your Device manufacturer, version of Android, and patch level.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 edge running Android 8.0 won't connect to my 2860 using L2TP/IPSEC, but an ancient Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 will. That's because Android versions above 6.0 don't handle SHA2/256 HASH correctly, and DrayOS doesn't allow configuration to mitigate this bug in Samsung, and several other manufacturesrs implementations. (Google Pixel devices work just fine after Google updated the library).

However, I've gone a little off topic here as the OP is using an iThingy!

John.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2018 00:52 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VPN with iPhone 6

Anaglypta wrote: That's because Android versions above 6.0 don't handle SHA2/256 HASH correctly, and DrayOS doesn't allow configuration to mitigate this bug in Samsung, and several other manufacturesrs implementations.

I nabbed my other-half's Samsung S8 ... and that will connect to the 2830 - my Huawei P9 won't. Both are running Android 8.0. Both connect to the 2860. Eye of Toad and leg of Newt :)

• anaglypta
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2018 10:05 #5 by anaglypta
Replied by anaglypta on topic Re: VPN with iPhone 6
Black magic indeed. You can follow the links in my post here https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22310#p91647 for the Android issues.

John.