DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Connectivity issues on Site-to-Site VPN - Dropping pings!

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Jul 2019 23:22 #1 by eveares
Hi all, this may have always been an issue and have not until now noticed it, however I am now noticing connectivity issues between my network (10.100.1.0/24) and my grandparents network (10.100.12.0/24) what I remotely manage for them. The networks are connected via L2TP/AES site-to-site VPN with the connection initiated and dialled out from my grandparents side (Always on enabled, dialled out to my static WAN IP).

My routers is a 2860 running firmware 3.8.9.4_STD and theirs is 2862 running firmware 3.9.0_BT.

I am with Plusnet (VDSL), have a static IP and sync at around 40,000Kbps Down / 9,352Kbps Up; they are with Sky, have a dynamic IP and sync at around 23,799Kbps Down/ 3,650Kbps UP.

Now If I keep a continuous ping going to my grandparents router (10.100.12.1) or any other device on their 10.100.12.0/24 IP range from my wired PC (10.100.1.80), I tend to drop around 3% of packets. (Or 35 Packets out of 1000 packet ping test.) Same result if ping my grandparents router (10.100.12.1) from my CCTV server (10.100.1.11).

Oddly if I ping my grandparents routers WAN IP (I have temporarily allowed it under “System Maintenance > Management > Internet Access Control”, I don’t get any dropped packets!!!

I have already tried turning off the Firewall/DOS defences on both routers, tried unplugging every device from my router (Including my P2261 PoE Switch) with only my PC directly connected to my router, turning off Syslog on all devices, rebooting everything at both ends, and even checking that the two CCTV cameras at my grandparents that talk to my Blue Iris CCTV server are not hogging the band with – they are not and are taking around 50-150 Kbps per camera (I even tried shutting down my BlueIris CCTV Server.)

The strange thing is I can’t work out why I am dropping packets during my ping tests despite the routers both saying the site2site VPN tunnel has been up all the time. I think I will next try disabling my grandparents Wi-Fi and LAN port 1 on their router out of ours and run my ping test of 1000 packets again. (LAN Port 1 only feeds a single PoE IP camera using a standalone PoE injector).

In the mean time, does anyone know what could be going on? as it is causing many disconnects and re-connects of my grandparents CCTV cams that talk to my Blue Iris CCTV Server. Seems like a VPN related issue, below are picture of the VPN settings.

Grandparents Router:

My Router

Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jul 2019 20:58 #2 by eveares
Oddly, I just ran another test of over 3000 pings and dropped no packets.

Must have been a temporary issue or a rouge device causing issues the other day.

Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.