Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

iOS Smart VPN Not Working on iOS 13

• bakertechlondon
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2019 11:37 #1 by bakertechlondon
iOS Smart VPN Not Working on iOS 13 was created by bakertechlondon
Hi,

On two devices (iPad & iPhone) both attempting SSL VPN connections to two routers (2860 & 2862) using V1.5.0(426) of Smart VPN I am no longer able to connect and receive a "Connection error, please verify certificate on the Vigor router side or contact your administrator" messages.

This used to work fine before the upgrade to iOS 13 and I am still able to connect OK using Smart VPN on MacOS - this is purely a iOS 13 issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2019 11:21 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: iOS Smart VPN Not Working on iOS 13
Apple added in some enforcement of trusted HTTPS certificates with iOS 13 - I got the same error message with my iPhone and Vigor 2860. At the time, the Vigor 2860 had an expired certificate.

It looks like currently there are two possible solutions for this:

1. Get a valid and trusted certificate for your router
    This is comparatively easy on the Vigor 2862. You can set up DrayDDNS and enable LetsEncrypt on there, then set the router to use that certificate. See the guide here for more information on how to do that.
    It's not as easy with the Vigor 2860, you'll need to get a valid certificate manually. I used a webserver and LetsEncrypt's ACME process to get one, then imported that on to the Vigor 2860.
    After doing that, the iPhone was able to connect its VPN immediately.

2. Create the VPN using IPsec Xauth instead

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.