DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Urgent Help Required

• mark humphries
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2019 11:57 #1 by mark humphries
Urgent Help Required was created by mark humphries
I'm afraid I know nothing about computers. My son is using a VPN to access illegal websites. He is autistic and I need to know how to shut down this vpn so that he can use solely the home broadband that is monitored. In his network Connections in the system tray I see our home broadband connection, but I also see DrayTek which has full 5 bar connection. I do not believe there is any extra hardware in the room so my assumption is that it is just a piece of software.

My problem is that I do not see anything called DrayTek in the Programmes and Features List to uninstall. Please give me simple step-by-step instructions to uninstall this or block it somehow through AVG AntiVirus Free software that is installed. It needs to be a solution that will stop a reinstall functioning.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help. This is a vulnerable special needs child that requires monitoring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2019 12:36 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Urgent Help Required
VPNs are provided by many companies (check for ExpressVPN, NordVPN etc.). Assuming he doesn't have admin access to the router, he can't have set one up from the router so yes, it's probably software, but it can also be the VPN functions built into the OS. Keep looking but maybe you'll have to ask him, and if you can't figure it out, remove the Internet access completely until you can as it's your front door the police will knock down... :-(

n.b. how do you know he's using a VPN? You say the normal internet connection is "monitored" - how ?

Forum Administrator

• mark humphries
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2019 13:04 #3 by mark humphries
Replied by mark humphries on topic Re: Urgent Help Required
Thanks for prompt reply. It is definitely DrayTek software. My remote control software no longer recognises his connection to the internet despite him being connected to the internet.

Let us assume that I want to remove your software as the most likely cause. Please explain how I find your software on the machine. I can not see it. Does it have some stealth install properties? it is not in the Programmes/Features list. Thanks

More
24 Sep 2019 20:42 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Urgent Help Required

It is definitely DrayTek software

I'm afraid I know nothing about computers.

I'm not sure how those two statements reconcile :-) DrayTek DO NOT provide a VPN service. They provide a VPN client which is for connecting to host DrayTek routers (it may connect to 3rd party services/devices) but it's clearly called 'SmartVPN' - there's no stealth option built-in. Also check your AV software, some like Norton provide a VPN service.

Why do you think it's "definitely DrayTek software" ?
How do you know he's accessing illegal sites ?
Have you asked your son ? Can't you just block his access if he won't cooperate?

Forum Administrator

More
08 Oct 2019 13:46 #5 by cctsupport
Replied by cctsupport on topic Re: Urgent Help Required
Speak to your ISP, ask if they can block VPN traffic or have some parental control they can offer.

Get on your router and see if you have something to disable VPN traffic (PPTP etc).

Get some parent control antivirus such as Norton Internet Security and use that for content restriction.