• alan johnston
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Feb 2020 16:59 #1 by alan johnston
Recommend Draytek router for VPN was created by alan johnston
Hi,
I have an installation with a Draytek 2960. I need to set up a VPN for a telephone connection to a user's home location. The telephone system is an old Panasonic one so it is a little more complicated than ordinary VOIP. However we have set up and tested locally that the handset works on a given local IP address. At the user's home he uses Gigaclear who provide a fibre connected router (Genexis DRG739v2) but I understand this can be set in "bridged" mode to act like a modem only. Can anyone recommend the best Draytek router to then add to the home user's network so that a reliable VPN can be set up between it and the office 2960? The router will of course need Ethernet on the WAN side and should also provide wireless on 2.4 and 5GHz.
Thanks
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oabroad
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2020 10:32 #2 by oabroad
Replied by oabroad on topic Re: Recommend Draytek router for VPN
Not sure about the 5GHz capability, some are dual band.
I've reliably used a 2760n and a 2830Vn in the role you describe. Although the 2760n is principly a DSL router the fourth Ethernet port can be reassigned as a WAN port.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Feb 2020 00:31 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Recommend Draytek router for VPN

Alan Johnston wrote:
Can anyone recommend the best Draytek router to then add to the home user's network so that a reliable VPN can be set up between it and the office 2960

Not sure about the "best" - that might depend on other criteria ... not least, price :wink:

The product comparison list is here: https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison

FWIW, I've had a 2830n connected to a 2860n, via a l2tp/IPsec vpn - more or less continuously for the last 5 or so years -I don't think reliability is in doubt!

More
25 Feb 2020 11:03 #4 by peter-h
Replied by peter-h on topic Re: Recommend Draytek router for VPN
I would say avoid the 2955 even though we've had a number of them running VPNs 24/7 for years, and you can pick them up for a tenner on Ebay, due to the mysterious VOIP bug
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23384

The 2960 doesn't have this problem but I am struggling with this
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23386
which may not be 2960 specific but equally I can't recommend that either because I've spent a week of my life on the 2960 config so far.

Going back a bit: why a VPN? Do you need a secure voice link? Most VOIP installations are not encrypted at all, all the way to the BT network termination and probably all the way to the ISP.

A separate wifi AP will expand your router options greatly.